Celtic full-back Boli Bolingoli has been hit with a 5 game ban, with two suspended until next February, by the Coronavirus Joint Response Group – after breaching rules.
The Belgian angered boss Neil Lennon when he travelled to Spain, without Celtic knowing, and then failed to quarantine.
Bolingoli featured in the game against Kilmarnock just days after returning from Spain, and has now been punished by the SFA/SPFL JRG as a result.
BBC Sportsound broke the news on Twitter saying: “Celtic’s Boli Bolingoli received a suspension of 5 matches: 3 matches applied immediately and 2 matches suspended until 28 February 2021.”
The 'Aberdeen eight' who broke lockdown rules have each been given a suspended three-game ban following a SFA hearing.
Celtic's Boli Bolingoli received a suspension of 5 matches: 3 matches applied immediately and 2 matches suspended until 28 February 2021https://t.co/n4HBkPqjC6
— BBC Sportsound (@BBCSportsound) August 28, 2020
Will Bolingoli even be at the club to serve ban?
It will now remain to be seen what Celtic decide to do following the end of their internal investigation into the former Rapid man’s behaviour.
Earlier on Friday, Neil Lennon refused to be drawn on any issues surrounding Bolingoli but admitted things had dragged on a little bit. (Official Celtic YouTube)
Lennon said: “I can’t comment on that. It will be the SFA one then we’ll have our own in-house disciplinary and we’ll take it from there.
“It’s sort of dragged on a bit now. We’ll have a look at it and see if and when he can come back in (to join the squad).”
It’s hard to see any way back for the 25-year-old – who hasn’t featured since the four minute cameo at Rugby Park.
Earlier, we told you how a report had claimed Celtic will sign another left-back this summer.
Adding depth in that position is an absolute must given the Belgian’s breach and the jury still being out on Greg Taylor.
Time will tell who that man is, and what happens with Bolingoli.
Many will question if he’ll even still be at a club when his ban ends.