Neil Lennon has disclosed whilst appearing on Celtic’s YouTube channel that he would have been in favour of Aberdeen’s proposal to have 1,000 fans attend Sunday’s game between the teams. However, he understands why the plan was rejected.
As reported by 67HH earlier this week, Aberdeen chairman Dave Cormack revealed that the Dons in association with Aberdeen City Council, had applied for 1,000 fans to attend the game. That was after a successful test event with 300 fans at Pittodrie earlier this season.
Plans rejected by Scottish government
However, Aberdeen’s plans were turned down by the Scottish Government. As a result, the game will be played behind closed doors. Now the Celtic boss has had his say on the matter.
“I would be all for it if we could get fans in through the gates, that would be great, I wasn’t aware it’s been rejected, I think we’re in the midst of a heavy time with the virus again, I think we have to be careful at the minute about allowing people into public arenas” Lennon said, whilst appearing on Celtic’s YouTube channel.
Lennon would of course be in favour of fans attending games. However, as he says the fact that lockdown restrictions are once more severe in Scotland rules out any chance of fans attending any games for now.
Hoops played in test event earlier this season
Celtic have played one game this season with fans in attendance, the match against Ross County in September saw 300 supporters attend the game.
That event seemed to be a success. However, the fact that the virus seems to be on the rise has to put an end to any more test events for the time being.
At the moment it seems a bit of a forlorn hope that any fans will attend Celtic games this season. Hopefully the situation changes before the end of the season. It would be a boost if even a small number of fans could attend the stadium. For the moment though, behind closed doors is the future.
In other news, former Celtic man Lewis Morgan loves playing in the MLS.