Celtic boss sets transfer narrative straight; puts top target theory to bed

By David Walton

July 7, 2022

Celtic boss Ange Postecoglou has delivered an update on the club’s transfer work as he dismissed the idea the Hoops have top targets.

The club has been quick off the mark to close 4 deals over the summer window so far. Indeed, Alexandro Bernabei and Ben Siegrist have signed up whilst Jota and Cameron Carter-Vickers made their Parkhead moves permanent.

In recent days, several transfer reports have referred to certain players as the club’s top targets. The Daily Record said that Vinicius Souza was the main priority, whilst the BBC used the top target phrasing to describe Ko Itakura.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

However, Ange has dismissed the idea that the Hoops prioritise anyone as a primary option as he explained how the club operates. As quoted by the National, Ange said: “I know you guys like to speculate about prime and secondary, but look, I said last year the ones we got we did pretty good getting, and the ones we don’t get are the ones that don’t work out for a number of reasons.

“We don’t have primary targets. We know what we need and we’ve identified some players who potentially could fit in that mould. But like I said, we won’t go into that final stage with anyone else at the moment until I’m convinced they’re coming to the football club for the right reasons.

“I still think there are one two areas where we need some more robustness in terms of the squad, just some quality in depth. I wouldn’t expect too many but there are still one or two areas I’m looking to strengthen knowing what’s ahead for us.”

Ange Postecoglou puts Celtic transfer narrative straight

So there you have it. Celtic identify a list of names they believe could be a good fit for the club and work through them without necessarily prioritising any as their top targets.

Yes, there’s an argument that can be made about players being deemed your first-choice if that’s who you decide to go for. However, clearly what Ange is trying to say here is that all players are identified as potential options for the club with no real blow if certain players decide not to come.

You can understand why some believe Souza to be the club’s top target. It’s dragged on and on since we were first linked with a move for the player back in early June. We don’t appear to be any further on in the saga with the mid–fielder appearing to drag it out.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

But Celtic have reportedly made it clear that they won’t be hanging around. That’s because they clearly have other options they believe can add the same level of value.

The truth is there isn’t a bad word you can say about Celtic in the transfer market at the moment. Everything is coming up trumps for them and, even at this early stage, there isn’t a lot more we need to do in terms of incomings.

Ange has made that pretty clear too. He wants one or two more in the door. And no doubt Celtic will be moving quickly to get those deals done.

In other news, Ange Postecoglou delivers verdict on Celtic youngsters after first pre-season win