Mark Wilson hits out at Celtic board for preparation this season

By David Walton

September 20, 2021

Former Celtic defender Mark Wilson has pointed fingers at the club hierarchy for their failure to prepare this season.

The Hoops had a massive rebuilding job over the summer after bringing in Ange Postecoglou as the new boss. However, things have quickly taken a disappointing decline.

Firstly, CEO Dom McKay left for personal reasons in a major blow to the club’s rebuilding image. McKay was meant to be working closely with Postecoglou to get the club back to where we want it to be.

Dom McKay has officially left Celtic (Credit – Celtic FC)

In addition to that, Celtic have brought players to Parkhead who, six league games into the season, still aren’t 100% fit. And Wilson has shielded Postecoglou from too much blame as he instead directed criticism in the direction of the boardroom.

Speaking on Clyde 1 Superscoreboard last night, Wilson said: “The lack of activity in the summer months is what is catching up with Celtic now. I know that they made those signings, but they came late in the door. There were Champions League qualifiers, there were Europa League qualifiers, the week it started and people were still finding their way coming into the club.

“Celtic have to be better prepared, I think they all knew it was going to be a tough job for any manager, coming in and turning around the squad and bringing a host of new players in. But, the amount of time it has taken has now, as I said, caught up with them.

Livingston 1-0 Celtic | LIVE Reaction

BridTV
4978
Livingston 1-0 Celtic | LIVE Reaction
866626
866626
center
15596

“Six games into the league season, we’re still talking about people [having] lack of fitness and pre-season, they are behind them, they are still catching up. I don’t necessarily blame Ange Postecoglou for that because there was an awful lot he had to do, but the mess behind the scenes at Celtic Park is coming home to roost at the minute.”

Celtic need to push through early-season struggles

No amount of explaining can deny that this has been a disastrous start to the season. Only one away win in seven having lost six is totally unacceptable.

Yes, people will argue that we’re in the middle of a rebuild. That’s all well and good, but this wouldn’t have been accepted last season either. The plan over the summer certainly wasn’t to start the season with worse form than we ended last year.

When we say that we’re willing to give Postecoglou time, it doesn’t mean we’ll happily go along with failure after failure for six months. We need to see shoots of progress. Losing at Livingston and conceding four at Real Betis go against that notion.

It looked originally as though we’d prepared well enough for the upcoming months. But Wilson isn’t wrong about the failure to prepare for the early stages of the campaign. We were left rushing the likes of Carl Starfelt and Kyogo Furuhashi into the team for the opening game against Hearts.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

Let’s be honest, you’re supposed to be ready for the first game of the league campaign. Whilst we always expected the rebuild to take a couple of windows, we at least hoped to be able to deal with a couple of injuries.

Celtic have been absolutely rocked with how things have gone since the Glasgow Derby defeat. Throwing McKay’s departure into the mix as well makes for a messy look. Not to mention the fact that we still don’t have a Head of Recruitment or a Head of Sports Science either after the departure of Jack Nayler.

There are still big gaps at this football club that needs filling. This isn’t where we hoped we’d be by the end of September.

In other news, 6-week period that could define Celtic season begins today