22/03/2020 may be one of the more boring dates in the football calendar, but the same couldn’t be said 34 years ago to the day.

Rangers 4-4 Celtic was the scoreline at Ibrox, as the two sides produced the highest-scoring Glasgow derby in history.

Davie Hay took his Celtic side to Govan looking to arrest a run of three straight 1-1 draws in the league. He also took his Celtic side to Ibrox looking to put to rest the demons of a 3-0 loss there earlier in the 1987-86 campaign.


Paul McStay and Davie Cooper

Paul McStay and Davie Cooper (David Cannon/Allsport via Getty Images)

There’s no denying that Rangers started the better of the two sides as they dominated possession. However, when given a glorious chance on the volley, Ally McCoist couldn’t beat Pat Bonner with a low effort.

Rangers would be made to pay. Brian McClair miss-hit a ball that fell into the path of Mo Johnston, who buried with aplomb. McClair, however, would get his moment just before the half-hour mark when he slammed home a fine delivery from Owen Archdeacon.

It looked like it would be plain sailing from there. Yet, on 33 minutes, another twist would arrive. A poor challenge from Willie McStay earned him a sending off, and just moments later, Cammy Fraser powered home a header from McCoist’s delivery to reduce Rangers’ two-goal deficit to one.

Subscribe to 67 Hail Hail TV now

The game was still to explode

Hay’s men managed to keep the score at 2-1 heading into half-time, before an explosive second-half would take centre-stage.

Only two minutes after the break, Tommy Burns timed a run to perfection to slot into the far corner. Our two-goal lead had been re-established just like that.

Unfortunately for Celtic, the game would turn dramatically soon after as Rangers banged home three goals in 11 minutes. McCoist was firstly given too much space to drive forward and fire a low effort in at the near post. Seven minutes later, Robert Fleck fired in an effort inside the box that deflected beyond Bonner.

Murdo MacLeod bagged that vital goal in '86

Murdo MacLeod bagged that vital goal in ’86 (Allsport UK/Allsport via Getty Images

The turnaround was completed just four minutes later. Fraser got his second of the game when he nodded home from point-blank range. The game had taken a nasty turn, and it looked as though Celtic were heading for another Ibrox defeat.

However, up stepped Murdo on 70 minutes. Collecting the ball around 25 yards out, MacLeod fired a sensational bullet of an effort in on goal. It flew into the top corner, taking everyone at Ibrox by surprise as the Hoops showed their steel.

It would prove to be a massive moment in the season for us too. Including that contest against Rangers, Celtic had only won two of their previous nine matches in the league. After it, Hay’s side won all eight of their remaining games to break Tynecastle Hearts and take the 1986 Scottish Premier League title.

Rangers, on the other hand, finished the season in fifth, an entire 15 points behind the champions.

Have something to tell us about this article?