Celtic Chief Executive Peter Lawwell dubbed the dossier of evidence produced by Rangers ’embarrassing’ after the 4-week wait for it, speaking on yesterday’s EGM conference call, The Times report.
All 42 member clubs of the SPFL got together on Tuesday to discuss launching an independent investigation into the league’s handling of a vote last month to end the lower league seasons and potentially the Scottish Premiership too.
Clubs voted resoundingly against that action with 27 sides, including Celtic, kicking out the plans put forward by Rangers, Hearts and Stranraer.
Journalist Michael Grant of The Times reports that Lawwell defended the SPFL on the video call.
The paper states Celtic’s chief exec said that after a four-week wait, the dossier that Rangers sent to clubs last week had been ’embarrassing’.
Celtic would later release a more diplomatic statement. However, even in that, the club’s stance on supposed evidence of SPFL wrongdoing was clear.
Lawwell was not the only person on the video call to address SPFL members, of course.
The Daily Record report that Stewart Robertson, Ann Budge, Shaun Niven, Dave Cormack, Les Gray and Iain McNenemy all spoke.
Everyone got their chance to put across varying views but the vote results show that there was a clear consensus.
Rangers are now said to be considering their legal options after the failed action (The Daily Record), however, surely there will be an appetite in the wider Scottish game to move on from what has been a damaging episode.
As we know, Scottish football is facing an unprecedented slate of challenges over the next 12 months and clubs need to work together for the best possible outcome.