It’s the Scottish FA’s commitment to see the remainder of the 2019/20 Scottish Cup played out in front of spectators, the association’s president Rod Petrie says, as reported by The Sunday Post.
Like the Scottish Premiership, the Scottish Cup has been postponed until further notice due to the ongoing public health crisis.
Even when it is safe enough for football to return in this country, it’s currently expected that matches will be played behind closed doors.
However, that solution doesn’t seem to fit into the Scottish FA’s ambitions for the knockout tournament, with Petrie suggesting they’re aiming to resume it when fans can be in attendance.
As quoted by The Sunday Post, Petrie said: “It’s the commitment of the SFA to play out our showpiece competition when it is safe to do so, and in front of spectators.
“The Scottish Cup needs to be played to a completion – two semi-finals and a final – and we don’t feel a pressure of time as to when it will happen.
“It will be in line with the medical advice, social distancing and any other restrictions that are in place. We need to be open-minded enough to look at all considerations.
“It may be that the risks of 50,000 people travelling from Edinburgh to Glasgow are outweighed by other measures.
“But, equally, we need to do it in a manner that is fundamentally safe, creates a spectacle and provides some income for the participating clubs. That’s important, too.”
It seems then there’ll be no imminent completion of the competition even if league action can kick-off later this year.
Celtic are due to face off against Aberdeen in the semi-final, with Hearts and Hibs playing out a derby in the other half of the draw.
Neil Lennon’s Bhoys had been aiming to go for an unprecedented quadruple treble before the suspension of football and it appears this is effectively still on, even if the end of the tournament is greatly delayed.
Fans will get a day out to watch the action unfold when it’s safe to do so, if it all goes to plan for the SFA.
That’s something to look forward to.