Celtic's pursuit of Meling and Taylor has produced conflicting reports

By John McGinley

August 27, 2019

Celtic’s reported pursuit of Birger Meling and Greg Taylor took a confusing turn on Monday.

Two outlets are reporting the opposite situation with regards to both players.

The Scottish Sun claim that the club are unlikely to pursue the Norwegian international in favour of seeking a deal for the Kilmarnock man.

The Daily Record meanwhile say we are uninterested in meeting Killie’s valuation for Taylor and still hold an interest in signing Meling.

The lack of clarity is a little concerning as we approach deadline day next week.

The squad badly needs competition and support at left-back for Boli Bolingoli. The Belgian is settling in at Celtic Park but can’t be expected to play every match this season.

What can we glean from the situation ahead of the signing deadline?

(Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images)

What’s being said about Meling?

The Record does agree that Taylor is a preferred option over the Rosenborg full-back Meling from a playing perspective.

It seems unlikely then that the 10-cap international will be making a move to Scotland unless a deal for Taylor falls through completely.

Also, the fact that Rosenborg are still competing for a place in the UEFA Champions League group stages does complicate matters in terms of making an imminent signing.

The Record believe any deal for the left-back would have to be done after tonight’s clash with Dinamo Zagreb. That’s a fluid situation we will have to remain patient with.

(Photo by Dursun Aydemir/Anadolu Agency/Getty Images)

What’s being said about Taylor?

It’s reported that the Hoops have baulked at Kilmarnock’s asking price. However, the Rugby Park club are holding firm in their assertion he is a £3m player.

A factor in that assertion is the fact we received £25m for Kieran Tierney. Killie also recognise that we were willing to stump up a similar fee for Motherwell midfielder David Turnbull earlier this summer.

The Record say that unless there’s a change of mind from both parties it’s very unlikely he’ll sign too.

What’s a likely outcome here?

Currently, in my opinion, it would appear there is more chance of thrashing out a deal with the Ayrshire club.

It’s not the first time we’ve apparently struggled to agree terms with a Scottish Premiership rival before eventually agreeing terms.

Taylor, who was again called up to the Scotland national team this week, will surely prefer the opportunity to progress his career at Celtic Park and challenge for trophies rather than remain at Kilmarnock.

Meling’s position is a little more comfortable and even if Rosenborg go out tonight, he still has Europa League group stage football to look forward to without switching clubs.

Hopefully Celtic manage to secure one of the left-back targets ahead of next Monday’s deadline.