Reliable source shuts down 'farfetched' link as Celtic continue active transfer approach

By Lewis Laird

August 8, 2022

Celtic’s links to Chelsea midfielder Ross Barkley have been short-lived after reliable transfer source Mark Hendry described the rumours as ‘farfetched’ [Football Scotland].

On Sunday afternoon, a report from Givemesport stated that Ange Postecoglou’s side were among the clubs interested in bringing the midfielder in on loan.

The Hoops were quoted alongside the likes of Aston Villa and West Ham, with the 28-year-old looking to secure his exit from Stamford Bridge this summer.

Photo by Boris Streubel – UEFA/UEFA via Getty Images

However, those links were quickly shutdown by Football Scotland journalist Mark Hendry, who has become a reliable source for Celtic transfer news throughout this window.

Hendry insisted that rumours linking the England internationalist with a move to Parkhead were ‘well wide of the mark’ as the Bhoys summer recruitment drive continues behind the scenes.

After completing seven deals so far during the summer, Ange Postecoglou isn’t quite finished yet, with the 56-year-old looking to add the final touches to his squad for the season ahead.

The Celtic manager has repeatedly reiterated that he is still in the market for ‘one or two’ more new additions.

But, heading into the final few weeks of the window, the club will be taking a more patient approach, waiting for the right options to become available.

The former Socceroos boss once again stated that point when speaking to the media on Friday afternoon, insisting that the Hoops will still be active whilst the window is open.

Photo by Ian MacNicol/Getty Images

He said [Celtic FC]: “Yeah, I think I’ve said that, while the window is open, we are still active. Nothing definite, but whilst the window is open, we’re expecting that if the opportunity arises for the right kind of player, then we could move for it.

“But, it also means that there could be some people outgoing as well. So, we’ve just got to stay alert and active between now and the end of the window.

“I’ve already said if the right opportunity comes along in the areas that I feel we need, we’ll take it.”

Celtic could have a busy end to the window.

It has already been a busy summer window for Ange Postecoglou, bringing in some brilliant new additions, with deadwood within his squad also heading for the exit door.

However, with another few weeks left until the end of the transfer window, there is still some more work to be done on the transfer front.

The likes of Albian Ajeti and Christopher Jullien are expected to leave the club, with Postecoglou having no plans for the duo going into this campaign.

Photo by Ralf Treese/DeFodi Images via Getty Images

The Celtic manager’s comments from the end of last week also suggest he does have some areas in mind that he wouldn’t mind adding too before the start of September.

As is the case in every transfer window, the Bhoys are likely to be linked with a whole host of names as clubs from across the globe look to move on some of their players.

It certainly should be interesting to see the further business that Postecoglou is looking to do across the next few weeks. One man who we can definitely cross off the rumoured list, though, is Ross Barkley.

In other news, Report: FC Midtjylland considering surprise managerial move for Celtic coach.