Celtic defender Andrew Gutman's future still unclear one month after Cincinnati statement

By David Walton

December 9, 2020

Celtic left-back Andrew Gutman’s long-term future continues to be up in the air over a month after Cincinnati announced their intention to keep him on.

Gutman had spent the 2020 MLS campaign on loan with the start-up franchise club. The USA youngster managed to make 22 appearances for the Ohio side and seemed to impress their supporters on an almost weekly basis.

However, last month Cincinnati released a statement revealing some of their squad decisions for the 2021 MLS season. They confirmed the majority of their playing squad for next year, but Gutman was part of a select few who weren’t guaranteed to stay. Cincy said the following on their website:

“The club is in current negotiations and discussions with Andrew Gutman, Joseph-Claude Gyau, Nick Hagglund, Caleb Stanko and Przemysław Tytoń about their futures with FC Cincinnati.”

Since then there’s been nothing. No word from Cincinnati, Celtic, or indeed Gutman on where his future could lie. The MLS 2021 season likely won’t start until some time in March, but even so, it would be ideal to get him back to Glasgow to see what he’s made of.

"Carl Starfelt to Celtic is a big possibility" | Swedish journalist Anel Avdić

Gutman’s dream is still to play for Celtic

The last time we all heard from Gutman was back in the summer. At that point, the MLS campaign was getting ready to return with its MLS Is Back tournament. Gutman appeared four times in that competition, but only after he reaffirmed his commitment to making it at Parkhead.

As quoted by the Glasgow Times in May, Gutman said: “I think about playing at Celtic Park almost every day. I have been working out and then I’ll just drift off into a little daydream and I am playing at Celtic Park or something like that. It is definitely my goal at the minute.”

It’s not as if we have a wealth of talent in the left-back position at the minute. Diego Laxalt has been a decent acquisition, but even his top performances have dried up in recent times. Greg Taylor, meanwhile, hasn’t proven himself to be anything more than decent back-up.

 

Gutman told STV in July that work permit issues were his biggest obstacle at the moment, but that Neil Lennon is a big fan of him. So allowing him to leave for another year doesn’t make much sense if he’s good enough to make an impact now. It’s not as if he’s still 18 or 19 – Gutman’s 24 and at an age now where he should be ready to come into our first-team.

Perhaps Gutman’s work permit issues could dictate what happens here, but it’s interesting that we’re now one month on from those November negotiations and there’s still no clear answer as to what’s happening with him.

Hopefully, this is cleared up in the near future.

In other news, a regular BBC Sporsound pundit has been pushing a tiring Celtic narrative.


Comments